Sunday, July 19, 2015

Blog #4: Budgeting

  • The total of my future expenses each year are $67,000.   I know this is logical because my primary sources for information are http://www.valuepenguin.com/average-cost-of-health-insurance and I made a spreadsheet with the costs:
  • These costs are a bit on the high side. I am taking into account what my costs will be if I go to Cornell (my most expensive option) without any financial assistance for 8-10 years (PhD program). The costs will be lower if I go to a school that has a lower tuition cost or I get a scholarship.
    Frequency of payment?
    Category
    Item
    Amount per PAYMENT
    Rationale for amount listed
    Amount per YEAR
    Monthly
    Housing
    Rent or mortgage
    2000
    cost of a nice apartment in a medium sized city
    24000


    Property taxes
    0
    rent

    yearly

    Home maintenance
    300
    Cost of upkeep and if something breaks
    300


    If applicable, H.O.A. fees
    0
    rent

    Weekly
    Food
    Groceries
    100
    I love whole foods.
    5200
    Monthly
    Utilities
    Gas
    0
    rental

    Monthly

    Electricity
    0
    rental

    Monthly

    Water
    0
    rental

    Monthly

    Waste management
    0
    rental

    Monthly

    Telephone- hardline and cell phone
    100

    1200
    Monthly

    Internet
    0
    rental

    Once
    Transportation
    Where applicable, downpayment for car
    NA


    Monthly

    Car payment 
    400
    $20,000 car
    480
    yearly

    Car insurance
    900

    900
    Monthly

    Fuel
    100
    i’ll take the bus or train
    1200
    Yearly

    Car maintenance
    200

    200
    Monthly

    Public transportation
    50
    bus
    600
    Monthly
    Health
    Medical insurance
    220

    2640
    Monthly

    Dental insurance
    30

    360
    Monthly

    Fitness facility or activities
    100
    why is yoga so expensive?
    1200
    Yearly

    Vision insurance and eyewear
    20
    new glasses copayment
    20
    Yearly
    Pets
    Vet 
    300
    about $100 per pet for normal, but extra accounted for emergencies or extra pets
    300
    Monthly

    Food
    100
    I spoil my dogs
    1200






    total
    Education
    Tuition
    300000
    The education system sucks — this is for cornell

    Monthly

    Student loan repayment
    2000
    Im crying
    24000
    Monthly

    Books, magazines, etc
    10
    idk I read sometimes
    120
    Few Years

    Computer
    1000


    Monthly
    Protection
    Clothes, including jackets and basics
    20
    basics
    240
    Monthly

    Shoes, every day use, work use, dress up
    50
    shoes are expensive
    600






    Monthly
    Apparel

    50
    workout gear is expensive
    600
    Monthly
    Restaurants

    100
    Eating out once or twice per week plus coffee
    1200
    Monthly
    Movies

    10
    one movie per month
    120
    Monthly
    Electronics

    10
    Netflix
    120
    Monthly
    Etc








    TOTAL NEEDED TO COVER
     EXPENSES AFTER TAXES
    67000
  • According to http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes191012.htm I can likely count on making $80,000 each year in my future job as a food scientist/researcher.  My education/training to get that job will cost $300,000 total for all years of training because I will most likely pursue a PhD program.
  • I want to save $1000 for my rainy day fund each year, and $13,000 for retirement each year.  If I save $13,000 for retirement each year, by the time I am 65 years old I will have $5.2 million plus interest (http://money.cnn.com/calculator/retirement/retirement-need/).
  • Comparing my future income and expenses makes me think about how expensive it can be to live in a bigger city. I don't plan on having kids, but I will have dogs to care for. The expenses will add up if I make $80,000, which is more likely if I have a PhD. If I have to get a job with a lower salary, I will have to cut costs by finding a cheaper place to live and by being more frugal with luxury items. The costs of living will also be a little easier to cover if I get married or move in with a boyfriend that also has a well-paying job. 

3 comments:

  1. You're very thorough with the chart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that I absolutely love the rationale section of your chart - reading this just made my morning because everything you wrote is just so true! Everything is very well researched (I guess we're all gonna be screwed over by the edu system for awhile). Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job and very thorough! Your rationale was very funny and totally understandable. I would say you are very ready for the future.

    ReplyDelete