Friday, July 17, 2015

Blog #4: Future Lifestyle and Finances

In 15 years, if all of my goals are achieved, I would like to be a licensed neurosurgeon. This is about 10 years of difficult training starting after high school, and a lot of practice. This goal is a very difficult one to achieve but I think it is realistic if I continue to push in school and not give up.
  • The total of my future expenses each year will be around $30,000-$35,000, If I were to live in an apartment or small house. This cost includes a transportation, entertainment, food, health, as well as a possible roommate to split the rent. This information was obtained from http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/san-francisco
  • According to salary.com, the average salary of a resident is around $400,000. The schooling to get this job will cost near $400,000 for four years of undergraduate school and four years of medical school. 
  • I want to save enough money for 3-6 months. I want to have around $16,000. I want to save around 10% of my income for retirement, each year, for retirement. This would be around $2,000. By the time I am 60 years old I would have #250,000. However, surgeons make a lot more money, so money really would not be a problem once I become a licensed surgeon. Because the average salary is $300,000, I would have about $1.6 million saved for retirement.  
  • Comparing my future income and expenses makes me think that being a surgeon is a good way to be able to pay off my medical school. However, there is a lot of hard work involved in order to make that happen. Being a surgeon is a very demanding job, sometimes you have to sleep at the hospital and be on call at all times. Meaning there is very little sleep, and it is a very intense job. However, there will be no issues with money or spending money at all. 

5 comments:

  1. It is going to be very challenging! I want to go to medical school too, and I know that there is going to be loans and other bills to pay. I can tell that you're very dedicated! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job being so thorough on your blog post! You included a lot of details about where you want to be in the future and what you want to be doing along with what it takes to get there. I too am planning on going to medical school so I have a lot of the same future plans for my finances and education, and you definitely seem dedicated enough to achieve these goals! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Izzy- this is super detailed and well thought out! It's good that you have a solid plan of what you want to do and how you are going to achieve it. I have similar interests, like becoming a surgeon too, so we have about the same future finances and lifestyle. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking on a job as a doctor is an incredibly gratifying thing in my opinion. I think it will all be worth it in the end even if you don't get much time for yourself in the future! At least you'll be healing people! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taking on a job as a doctor is an incredibly gratifying thing in my opinion. I think it will all be worth it in the end even if you don't get much time for yourself in the future! At least you'll be healing people! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete