Friday, July 24, 2015

Blog #5: Grateful -- Class and Internship

This summer, I am incredibly thankful for choosing to experience this Career class and Hospital Internship. Both of these were major learning experiences for me, and I learned so much more about myself, technology, and the career world.

CLASS
I am very grateful for the explorations and discoveries that took place in this class, especially during the Waybook questionnaires. At the beginning of this course, my technology skills were awful; I had never heard of LinkedIn or created a Google Site. Now, I have more technology tools to add to my repertoire. In addition to learning more technology, I learned so much more about myself. I learned that I am conscientious and timid, but dedicated nonetheless, according to my Waybook entries. My perspectives on the world also evolved throughout this course. My financial perspectives changed for sure, but I was also able to identify my values and my WHY, which I thought was an interesting activity. I'm glad I had the opportunity to think deeply about this now, before I'm on my way to college. This class gave me the chance to think about my future expenses, decisions, and career path. I found these to be very beneficial, and I will continue to share these ideas with family and friends.

INTERNSHIP
My internship is not over, because I will be continuing for two to three more weeks before school starts. I decided to do this because I started a little late, and because I enjoy going to the Novato Community Hospital every Thursday. I finally had the chance to experience a hospital setting after hearing stories from my older brother, who also interned at the Novato Community Hospital when he was in high school. Now, he is interning at another hospital before heading to medical school! These past few weeks, we've been exchanging stories about what we did at the hospital, and what it was like for us. My peopling skills improved so much! Even though it is still intimidating to be a mature atmosphere, I feel more comfortable than what I used to feel. My communication skills improved greatly. At the hospital, I had to answer numerous phone calls, and, at first, I was nervous to speak to people whom I don't know, but it was an excellent learning experience. I know that I won't grow out of my shyness, but I feel so much more comfortable and open around adults. I used to think that hospital employees were strict people, but there is more positivism and laughter than I thought there would be. This is type of place I definitely want to work in the future; it's perfect! This opportunity allowed me to explore something new and meaningful; it is something that will surely open doors for me as I begin to apply for colleges during senior year. I am incredibly thankful for this opportunity at the NCH. Compared to other children who don't have the resources to do activities like this, I feel lucky. It was a huge stretch for me, because my mother is a single mother with a morning and evening job, and adding my internship program to her schedule was definitely a strain, but I made it. I am very, very grateful for this summer!

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool that you get to compare your experience with your brother!

    ReplyDelete