Monday, July 6, 2015

Blog post #2: Work Readiness Skills

Positive: Being tolerant and respectful. I work in the HR unit and am often given paperwork to sort through and organize. While it might not be my first choice, I sit down and do it with a smile on my face. Everyone I meet at Marin General I treat with the same respect. Weather it be the head of HR or my fellow intern. Being the intern, I feel as though I need to make my first impression a good one. So Everything I do, I am conscious of where I am and who I'm working with, being respectful and tolerant.

Positive: Communication with coworkers. When I am sorting files and organizing papers I work with another intern named Lucie. We consult about which papers are right or wrong, or if they should be in the file or not. Getting someone else's opinion is very helpful, and makes the job more fun having someone to talk to. Communication has also been a positive work readiness skill to me because I was able to get to know my supervisor pretty well by just sparking up conversation with her. By communicating with her I realized that we have a lot of the same interest and even found out that we would be at the same basketball tournament.

Negative: Although one of my positive work readiness skill is communication, it's also a skill I'm working on. I talk to my co-workers and try to make conversation, but they are also very intimidating, so asking questions is a little difficult. I feel that if I ask too many questions they will be annoyed and think I don't understand how to do the job. Everyone there is very kind, and I feel that by the end of my internship I will become more comfortable with them. I feel as though I am already more comfortable with my supervisors since day 1, but I still strive to be 100% confident that I don't think about asking her or her team questions.

4 comments:

  1. A lot of people seem to be working on similar things as you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your struggle with communication. Although it may seem like asking too many questions could get annoying, I believe that asking questions shows your coworkers that you are dedicated to the job and that you want to do it to the best of your ability. So don't be afraid to ask questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being positive and respectful is a positive I also share. It is a good skill to have! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share all of the skills you have mentioned. I am also working on my communication as well. I am the same way about asking questions. I sometimes feel as though the questions I want to ask are not worthy of being answered so I keep them to myself even though they are something I am very curious about. I feel as though I am wasting their time if I ask a question that in my head I see as stupid.

    ReplyDelete