Friday, July 17, 2015

Blog #4: Future Lifestyle and Budget


  • In 10-15 years, I want to have a simple lifestyle. Simple is better, since I do want a stable income. Hopefully, as a pediatrician, I will be making around $140,000-$199,000, according to http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Pediatrician,_General/Salary My total expenses will be greater than $80,000, depending on the circumstances, but this is just an logical conclusion. I know that there will be loans and other payments to cover once my education and training is complete!
  • It will definitely be necessary to put aside money for emergencies, monthly bills, etc. For my rainy day fund, I'd like to keep a storage of physical cash, because if there is no electricity available, I won't be able to access my online bank account or ATM. Taking into account my yearly income, I should be building a rainy day fund for three months to a year, according to http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/rates/faq-saving-rainy-day-fund/ Therefore, 5-10% of my yearly income should be attributed for this purpose.
  • In terms of retirement, 10-15% of my yearly income should be going toward my retirement fund, according to http://www.forbes.com/sites/baldwin/2013/10/01/formula-how-much-to-put-in-a-retirement-account/. This is an estimate, but it can vary if I start saving when I am in my twenties! Then, by the time I'm in my sixties, I would have around $520,000 saved. This isn't accurate, but a rough estimate.
  • My future expenses definitely make me nervous, and I will be economically strained, but there will be emergencies and unforeseen events that could change these results. It is going to be challenging, and it makes me nervous! I've learned that it is important to focus on what is necessary, especially when you are in a budget crisis. Having a roommate in my twenties will help me save during a ten-year period, but I can see myself beginning to struggle during the 15-year period. Finding a subtle apartment, and keeping everything simple will hopefully help me in the future. 

5 comments:

  1. What I liked about your post was that everything was very thoroughly thought out and realistic. I especially appreciated the honesty of the last bullet point where you expressed your worries about the future, and I admire your dedication to being a pediatrician even though budgeting may be hard. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I liked about your post was that everything was very thoroughly thought out and realistic. I especially appreciated the honesty of the last bullet point where you expressed your worries about the future, and I admire your dedication to being a pediatrician even though budgeting may be hard. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you (I feel ya) thinking of the future financially wise, make me nervous. But while it is a challenge, hopefully we can have fun during it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking about future expenses is definitely making me nervous as well; like how to pay for schooling and what not..but like in your last point, there's ways to stay simple, calm, and at least try to keep it together when things get financially depressing. Even getting a roommate or a financial scholarship will help! :)

    ReplyDelete