Thursday, July 23, 2015

Grateful

In class, I discovered the value of setting goals. I already had a tendency for making lists to stay organized, but I found it very beneficial to write my goals, habits, and allies down. It has helped me look at the bigger picture, while also focusing on what I have to do now to reach those goals. I’m thankful that we were all given the opportunity to get internships that will help us figure out what we want to pursue, and that it has put us ahead of our peers. As the news article said, we really are getting a leg up, which I am especially grateful for in the competitive field of medicine .

From my internship I learned the importance of double checking your work, and the impact it can have if you don’t. In the department I worked in, I observed many meetings of mistakes made by doctors and how their small missteps affected their patients. I can learn from their mistakes to make myself a better doctor in the future, and even make myself a better student by taking my time on assignment and triple checking them.

I also learned I never want an office job. Some people can sit at a computer for hours, but I’d much rather be running around to patients. I’m thankful for the opportunity because there was always that 0.1% of doubt that made me wonder if being a surgeon was the career path the I wanted to follow. After this experience there is nothing I’d rather do. Although I still wanted to explore the different job options in the medical field, such as radiology and anesthesiology, I know now that I 100% want to go to medical school and do something in healthcare.

It also allowed me to sharpen my career readiness skills. I have had a bad habit of not asking questions and trying to figure it out myself. During my internship I asked dozens of questions every day and it helped me learn a lot more. I asked questions because I worked with very delicate information and wanted to make sure it was done properly. My communication skills still have room for growth but it is something I can continue to work on during the school year by asking my teachers questions and taking Oral Rhetoric. I also had to get very comfortable with Excel. I had had little experience with it before this internship and I can now be more prepared for future situations.

3 comments:

  1. That's the same way I feel. It was nice meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you learned a lot from the class as well as your internship. Career readiness skills will be super important for the future, and asking questions is always a good thing! It's great that you have the goal of going to medical school and becoming some sort of doctor. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way. It looks like this summer served a lot of us well. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete